Attention Washington State Musicians: The 2018 International Blues Challenge Best Self-Produced CD Competition is Now Open… and the Washington Blues Society is seeking entrants!
Entry deadline is October 10th – at our October Blues Bash
Best Self-Produced CD Competition Official Rules:
- Entries for the Best Self-Produced CD are permitted by Blues Foundation-Affiliated Organizations only.
- Each Affiliate is permitted one entry.
- The CD entered may be recorded and performed by an act other than is entered in the current year’s International Blues Challenge.
- Compilations are not eligible.
- Only CDs released between November 1, 2016 and October 31, 2017 are eligible for consideration as the 2018 Best Self-Produced CD.
- While The Blues Foundation encourages a competition at the Affiliate level to determine the CD it will sponsor as Best Self-Produced CD, we do not require one. If an Affiliate does not conduct a competition to determine who it will sponsor, but instead appoints a CD, that CD may not include a board member or officer of the sponsoring Blues Foundation-affiliated organization.
- A performer who has previously been nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition. A CD issued in the name of an otherwise eligible performer which also includes the contributions of a Blues Music Award nominee may be ineligible, depending on the extent of the contribution. Please contact The Blues Foundation directly to confirm eligibility (more information: blues.org).
- A CD on a record label that has been previously nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition.
- Judging will take place in three rounds in Memphis. Judges will remain anonymous in order to protect them from outside influences and represent a cross-section of professionals from the blues radio and print industry. The final results will be announced at the finals of the International Blues Challenge on Saturday, January 20, 2018 held at the historic Orpheum Theatre in Memphis, TN.
How to Submit: Submissions of six (6) copies of the CD, MUST be received by no later than October 10, 2017 at the following address:
The Washington Blues Society
Best Self-Produced CD
4003 Friday Avenue
Everett WA. 98201
Please Note: Four CDs will be retained by the Washington Blues Society to submit on behalf of the winner of the Washington Blues Society Best Self-Produced CD. The two additional CDs will be reviewed by volunteer Washington Blues Society judges.
Or delivered to a board member or dropped at the Blues Bash on October 10, 2017.
The finalists will be announced prior to The International Blues Challenge with the winner revealed during the IBC Finals on Saturday, January 20, 2018. Finalists are NOT required to attend International Blues Challenge.
Evaluation Criteria: Washington Blues Society volunteer judges will evaluate each submitted CD on the following characteristics. These characteristics are the same used by volunteer judges during the International Blues Challenge. The criteria considered are listed in order of importance.
- Blues Content
- Musical Performance
- Audio Quality & Production Value of the Recording
- Professionalism and Visual Appearance of Cover Art and Design
- Credits & Liner Note Information
CDs must be submitted directly by current Blues Foundation Affiliated organizations only. Affiliates must submit four (4) copies of their selection to The Blues Foundation offices by the publicized deadline. In order for a CD to be considered for this award, the submission package must include a note on Affiliate letterhead stating the name of the artist and title of the CD being submitted for consideration.